Wednesday 18 March 2015

Los pronombres de complemento

Direct object(English object pronouns)Indirect object
me
te
lo/la
nos
os
los/las
me
you
him, her, it, you (Ud. form)
us
you (plural) [in Spain]
them, you (Uds. form)
me
te
le
nos
os
les
Direct objects: what? or whom?Indirect objects: to/for whom?
I did...(what?)I did my homework. I did it.
Hice la tarea. La hice.
I did (for whom?)I did her homework for her.
Le hice la tarea (a ella).
I saw...(whom?)I saw the doctor. I saw him.
Vi al doctor. Lo vi.
I said (to whom?)I told that to Juan. I told him.
Le dije eso a JuanLe dije.
• Spanish places object pronouns immediately before a conjugated verb. The object pronoun eliminates the need for the personal a:
¿Conoces al abogado? Sí, lo conozco, pero no le debo nada. ¡No te creo!
• When these pronouns are the object of an infinitive or a gerund, they are joined to the end (written accents may be added according to the general rules explained in §3):
Al verla, supe que la amaba.
Escribiéndoles, te entenderán mejor.
Upon seeing her, I realized I loved her.
By writing to them, they'll understand you better.
• Thus, object pronouns may either precede the conjugated verb or be attached at the end of the infinitive or gerund (but they can never come in between):
No me quieres creer. ~ No quieres creerme.
Siguieron buscándolo ~ Lo siguieron buscando.
Le voy a dar un regalo ~ Voy a darle un regalo.

• When used together, indirect object pronouns precede direct object pronouns (the exact opposite of the usual English order):
Nos los entregó a tiempo (los mensajes).
Quiero mandártelo / Te lo quiero mandar (el mensaje).
She delivered them to us on time.
I want to send it to you.
• When the first pronoun of the two would be le or les, it changes to se (sing. or plural):
Se lo quiero explicar antes de enseñárselo. I want to explain it to her before showing it to her.
• As there frequently is ambiguity with the third person, clarify with a ellas, a usted, etc.:
Ella le escribe a él; yo le escribo a ella.
No le quiero pedir un favor a usted.
Se la mandé a él primero.
She is writing to him; I am writing to her.
I don't want to ask you a favor.
I sent it to him first.
• Spanish prefers to use the indirect object pronouns even when the indirect object is mentioned:
Le estoy escribiendo al jefe.
¿Por qué no le pides dinero a tu hija?
I am writing to the boss.
Why don't you ask your daughter for money?
~ Note the following verbs, which take certain prepositions in English, but not in Spanish (except for the personal awhen needed):
mirar: look at


buscar: look for


escuchar: listen to


pedir: ask for


robar: steal from
Miré al jugador y miré el campo. Los miré.
I looked at the player and at the field. I looked at them.

Buscan a la abogada. La buscan.
They look for the lawyer. They're looking for her.

Escuchamos música. La escuchamos.
We listened to music. We listened to it.

Pedí dos paellas. Se las pedí al mesero.
I asked for two paellas. I requested them to the waiter.

Le robaron el dinero. Se lo robaron.
They stole her money from her. They stole it from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment